07/04/2014

Is It Just Me? - Miranda Hart

Is It Just Me?- Miranda Hart.



Author: 


Miranda Hart

Published:


June 2013

Blurb On the Back:


Well hello to you dear browser. Now I have your attention it would be rude if I didn't tell you a little about my literary feast. So, here is the thing: is it just me or does anyone else find that adulthood offers no refuge from the unexpected horrors, peculiar lack of physical coordination and sometimes unexplained nudity, that accompanied childhood and adolescence?

Does everybody struggle with the hazards that accompany, say, sitting elegantly on a bar stool; using chopsticks; pretending to understand the bank crisis; pedicures - surely it's plain wrong for a stranger to fondle your feet? Or is it just me?

I am proud to say I have a wealth of awkward experiences - from school days to life as an office temp - and here I offer my 18-year-old self (and I hope you too dear reader) some much needed caution and guidance on how to navigate life's rocky path.

Because frankly where is the manual? The much needed manual to life. Well, fret not, for this is my attempt at one and let's call it, because it's fun, a Miran-ual. I thank you.

Review:


This was read as part of my 2014 reading Challenge on Goodreads.com.

Now I have to admit I went into this book not knowing what to expect. The only thing I had seen Miranda in was Smack the Pony and one Episode of Call the Midwife. What I found was a likeable if not slightly neurotic book on a vast variety of subjects from smacking someone in the face with a prawn to her uncomfortable feelings towards beauticians and spa days.

Much of the dialogue is between her and her 18 year old self, exposing the differences between what she wanted to be and who she is now. She does refer to the reader on a number of occasions as "My dear reader chum" which gets shortened throughout the book to MDRC and after a while does tend to become irritating. 

The comedy elements however are pulled off with aplomb, she has a natural likeable style of writing and constantly relates to everyday situations in the funniest way possible (especially the office work bit.) By no means is this a challenging read but if you want a bit of light-hearted fun for a couple of hours you could do a lot worse. 

Plus if you read it while spinning on your Spinney chair it adds something.

For that I would give it 8 out of 10.

Peace 

Deejay.

No comments:

Post a Comment